Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Accepted!

Thank God! I just got a call informing me that my application has been accepted. As of February 6th, I will be in an apartment building on Aquitaine Road. Mom and dad were the first to be thrilled by the news. Now, constant reader, it's your turn. There are still documents to sign, a package in the mail to go over and return, and a lot of other things to do in order to prepare for this very welcome beginning to a new chapter in my life. I can't begin to describe the absolute releaf, anticipation, and excitement I'm feeling. It's been a very long wait, but I can at last start to put all the frustration which comes of being economically denied the opportunity to live on my own despite proving that I'm more than capable behind me.

Getting everything I'll initially need will make the next while interesting. A grille and talking microwave are certainly near the top of the list. I've heard good things about one talking microwave called Magic Chef. If possible, I'll get the same sort of indoor grill with removeable trays that served Rebecca and I so well during the marriage. Doubtless, it'll take a little experimentation to get my mastery of timing meat cooking up to the level I once had it. I'll want to be familiar with both appliances right from the start. A new desk and bed will also be good to acquire. My parents will help me pick up some of the larger furnishings during the first months I'm there. I won't need to get a phone since my cell phone can serve to answer the door. It'll just be the Internet and tv that need to be arranged quickly. There's suddenly so much to think about; so many possibilities. Winter will doubtless have its dull and lonely moments, but with so much new coming at me, it won't seem nearly as empty as much of the past summer.

Mainly, I'm looking forward to getting to know any people around me who are actually interested and have time to know me as more than "that blind guy in the building". It will also at least marginally improve my chances for finding dates and friends. Living with one's parents is unfortunately quite a turn-off for people to take you seriously as an adult. It shouldn't be. There are a lot of legitimate reasons besides my economic restriction for people to do so. However, in a prodominantly sighted world, people all too quickly jump to conclusions about each other. At last, I can actually begin the process of setting down roots in a community where I know I'm going to be for the foreseeable future. Such an indescribeable releaf despite all the challenges to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

Hey, congratulations! I'm wracking my brains, trying to remember the buildings around the Town Centre. Closer to the high school or on the other side?

I'm really happy for you, Mike.

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I think the collection should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.