Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Capital Good Start

Hello everyone. At last, I'm settled in an apartment of my own. Moving has certainly been a hectic experience. Everything's here now. The bed, cable TV, the Internet, and the surprising amount of stuff that I've managed to collect over the years. Mostly, everything is now unpacked and in its place. There are still a few things to sort out. Mainly, there are dvds to shelve. I haven't quite worked out where I want some of those.

I had quite a lot of help from friends and family. Adam lent a hand as did my parents, brother, and today, Mark and Wendy. A man couldn't wish for a more willing and ready group to help get quickly settled and sorted. I've met some of the building staff as well as a few of my new fellow residents in this fifteen-floor edifice. One of these was a fellow blind man who seems quite keen to get to know me. That ought to be very interesting indeed.

You'd doubtless expect that after waiting for this moment for so long, I would be far too wired and excited to even contemplate sleep. All the new people to meet who might be willing to share their stories and/or become friends; All the freedom I have to do things in my own time and in my own way. And yet, what I actually feel something akin to quiet satisfaction. Partly, this is due to a need for sleep. I've been getting up fairly early these past days and not getting good full nights of rest. These restless days have also been full of packing and planning. Now, all of that is done. The place begins to feel like home. I'm getting better at finding my way around but still end up very briefly disoriented once in a while in here. That ought to sort itself out rather quickly over the next days. It's a fantastic space for me. I feel very blessed indeed. I believe I'll sign off here and get some sleep. Tomorrow is the first full day of this brand new chapter of life.

2 comments:

jackie said...

Welcome to your new home, Michael! May you have many warm and wonderful days in your new space and in this new chapter of your life.

Heather said...

Congratulations!